Before Intravenous Anesthesia
- You may not have anything to eat or drink for seven hours prior to the appointment, except for water – you are encouraged to have SIPS of water only, up until 1 hour prior to surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. If the patient is under eighteen years old, this escort must be a parent or legal guardian.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia. Any activity where your or someone else’s safety depends on you should be avoided.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with short sleeves, and flat-heeled shoes. No sandals please.
- Do not wear lipstick. Minimize makeup. Trim facial hair as short as possible. Remove loose jewelry. Dark nail polish may need to be removed from one finger for monitoring purposes.
- If you develop a new onset illness such as upper respiratory, cold, or anything else, please notify the office.
- If you take prescription or non-prescription medications, supplements or herbs, please check with Dr. Miner prior to your surgical date for instructions. This will be covered in a preoperative consultation. Most medications will be continued with the possible exception of blood thinners, diabetic meds, etc.
- We encourage the escort use CVS (next door to our office) for filling prescriptions during the surgery so that when done the patient may simply go directly home. Typically these prescriptions are given to the escort just prior to the start of surgery.